The National Audubon Society’s Christmas Bird Count (CBC) takes place annually from December 14 – January 5 and is the longest-running wildlife census in the country. Join other birders on a local Christmas Bird Count, collecting important information that is used to assess the health of the nation’s bird populations. Discover some of the prime birding spots in your area. You may join in as many Bird Counts as you would like; there is no charge to participate.
Each count takes place in an established 15-mile diameter circle, and is organized by a count-compiler. Volunteers follow specified routes, tallying all birds they see or hear during the day. Results are compiled by number of birds within each species and by total number of birds, giving an indication of the total bird population within the count-circle.
If your home is within the boundaries of a CBC circle, then you may be able to make arrangements with the compiler to report the birds that visit your feeder on count-day.
Beginning birders are welcome and will be paired with more experienced observers. This is a great way to learn more about the birds in your area.
Christmas Bird Counts in the local area:
- December 17, 2015 (Thursday) – Whitefish Point CBC. We could use a few more folks out on the roads/woods. Compiler is Charlie Weaver. Contact him for further information at 989-348-3299
- December 18, 2015 (Friday) – Cedarville, Mackinac Co. (Les Cheneaux Area) The compiler is Tina Hall at email@example.com or phone: (days) 906-225-0399 ext.4012, (evenings) 906-225-0139.
Meet at 8:00 a.m. at Ang-Gio’s Restaurant in Cedarville.
- December 19, 2015 (Saturday) – Marquette – The compiler is Melinda Stamp at firstname.lastname@example.org or 906-869-2489.
Meet at 8:00 a.m. in the parking lot at Mattson Lower Harbor Park in Marquette. Feeder forms are available by pre-registering with Melinda. The count circle covers a 7.5-mile radius centered on Old City Hall at 4th & Washington St. No advanced registration is necessary.
- NEW DATE!! December 20, 2015 (Sunday) – AuTrain – The compiler is Scott Hickman at email@example.com or 906-892-8603.
Please use the email address for communication since count information is distributed by email. Please let Scott know at least 4 days in advance if you would like to participate so that count circle coverage can be properly coordinated and then communicated to all participants.
- January 3, 2016 (Saturday) – Gwinn – The compiler is Brian Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 231-557-4011.
Contact Brian for meeting place and time.
- Tentatively January 3, 2016 (Saturday) – Peshekee Grade CBC. This date is tentative. If you are interested, email Gary Palmer at email@example.com
For a report of last year’s results, visit www.stateofthebirds.org
This webpage provides access to the full printed report from 2014, as well as a “watch list” and a list of “common bird species in steep decline.”